Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Bigger, Faster, Stronger, Fijian

Guess what? I just got to enjoy my first taste of touch Rugby, and let me tell you it was about the same as playing frogger except getting run over by the first line of cars every time because you just don't understand how to do it. Not only was I absolutely oblivious to any rugby strategy I was the slowest kid out there besides the other Americans who all had comparative speeds to my own. I know why they invited Eli in the first place. So he could bring the rest of his slow American friends and they can run around us and make us feel pathetic. At one time a guy actually let me tag him and then he gave a "OH NO you got me" said in Fijian and then everyone laughed. I wasn't a fan of there sportsmanship at certain moments. Even if I did manage to stick with all of the juking once I got close they would toss it over my head to the guy on the other side of me and run right around. Once and a million I would be able to contain that guy and then they would toss it behind me and run around again where I would proceed to fall over. Best time ever. I'm bringing this sport home of course so prepare yourself for some pain.

Besides extracurricular activities school is on its way for the second week. And if anyone remembers the wonderful time I had last week figuring out my class this week definitely trumps that. On my schedule I expected to have class at 12 pm in the non existent room of 014b. Being a good student I showed up about a half an hour early. Time flies and the class next door begins and I am completely alone. Figuring there must have been a problem with the professor who happens to still be trapped in the Solomon Islands at this point I went to the office of the department. Of course they were completely baffled because I was scheduled to have class from 12-2. They told me for the time being another Professor would take the place of the one who is missing, and they tried to contact her, but couldn't. Finally they figured it out and took me to the room with that professor and the class had already started of course. I made sure that the person who guided me there knew for certain this was the correct class and she was positive. Class ended at 1, which I thought odd, and also noticed a fellow Australearner was in the class, another odd occurrence. Before I left I was told we would meet later that day at 4 pm. I asked because it wasn't on my schedule but figured because it had been wrong before it probably is so again.

I returned home for 3 hours and came back to class. I sat by the fellow Australearner and she said "I'm really surprised I didn't know you had PL 200." Wait... 200 I thought this was 307? So I went up to the Professor and asked why I was in 200 right now and what happened to 307. "Class was at 1-2 and you weren't there." Wow. So what happened was I was under the impression that the class I was in at 12-1 was my PL 307 and when she dismissed I didn't even think of asking specifically what course I was in. So when I left my real class with the same Professor I just sat through the wrong class with started, and I completely jumped right over it with the wrong classes. Fantastic! Another Monday schedule completely wasted due to misunderstandings and poor organizational skills of the USP?

What did I learn? Being organized not only benefits you but it is also considerate to other people because they won't get caught up in the crap you don't straighten out? Do not get frustrated over things that you cannot control for example mistakes made by other people. Also "Fiji Time" is a lame excuse for people not being on time because they have no idea what they are supposed to be doing. Please take these ideas to heart so I don't have to deal with this anywhere else. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment