Sunday, May 30, 2010

Feel's like Home


The loveliest weekend to date began with me departing Suva at 7 am with a backpack full of snacks, and a bouquet of tropical flowers all aimed at making the weeklong stay of my favorite person in the world the best possible. The bus ride included me reading a page out of a book and gluing my face to the window and then my Fiji map to see my location on Viti Levu and how much longer until Nadi International Airport. After 4 hours of lovely overheated bus seat I was well prepared to welcome Caitlin to her Island adventure, in two hours from my arrival. I meandered around the arrival area and looked at all the fantastic touring options available to me, my favorite one being the $600,000 villas on Denarau with a slogan like cutting the Fiji out of Fiji Islands as best it can, how can you resist.
Well in my two hours wait I created a name sign in order for her to recognize me in my new and Fijianized form, I was wearing a sulu of course, and the formal one so that might throw her off. There was something lingering on my mind that she brought up, and I couldn’t decide if I would participate also or not. She said something about crying, and I decided at one time in order for her not to feel odd I would join her in an emotional reunion after a 4 month separation. I knew the time was coming near when everyone bunched around the arrival door. I was attempting to look good by leaning against something and almost knocked over a pay as you go internet console. Finally someone walks around the corner and she made some sort of goofy gesture I think signaling recognition and finally I notice Ohh! It’s Caitlin. I was looking for my beloved big poof of hair maybe sparkles and fireworks in slow motion, but nope sort of anticlimactic until the emotions set in, and bam things got sloppy. Well I was a bit choked up and excited, to the point I didn’t even hold my name sign up, which was intended to be upside down and funny. I really didn’t say anything to her for the first 5 minutes or so, and of course the whole magical cliché explosion of excitement in tears was a little off, because the thing is that is a 2 person party and when Caitlin just gives me a little smirk and saying happy to see me? I just sort of cried more in defeat. All in all, besides me completely losing my composure, the reunion was very proper, and loving, but next time as always a little more outward joy from Caitlin would really help my self esteem. Also questions like “what happened to this side ab you were so proudly proclaiming the existence of?” really hurts the body image, which arose later in our escapades.
Many things also came as complete failures. The beautiful flowers I purchased and wanted to blow her mind with the rich florescent colors of Viti Levu, but it turns out that the flowers happen to reside in Venezuela. While driving by a village turns out they resemble a Venezuelan village, and after awhile my random, not very exciting, facts about Fiji began to become a pain, literally, I was asked not to talk too much because her neck got sore from looking to the right. I was very compliant and was quiet, for about 2 minutes. But I guess her request was reasonable being on an airplane for 18 hours, but thankfully she was very reasonable with tolerating my excessive chatter.
Rest and relaxation pretty much sums up the week with Caitlin mixed with the best entertainment, and luckily food, Fiji has to offer. The best food obviously came from the kitchen of Danny Dunn, described by my guest as “almost curry.” From then we moved to the mixed reviews of barfi and the magical world of Suva’s vegetable market. Overall all of my preparations were completely wasted, I bought way too much delicious meats, cow heart yummy, and fruit avocado, which nobody likes, but that doesn’t matter, what matters is that personally I ate way too much and felt good doing it and Caitlin didn’t kill me from poor quality of food or lack of.
I did attempt at one time to kill the joy of the Fiji trip by not explaining the ruggedness of a jungle hike up to the peak of Mt. Korobaba. Did she enjoy herself? That’s probably debatable. I think how it went was one of those things that one hates until looking back on all the magnificent scenery, and of course super special bonding time with a significant other one may find in moments covered in spider webs, mud and running from giant millipedes. I don’t want to brag but I did hike it barefoot again, not a big deal, but just thought you may enjoy that factoid.
Wednesday we departed for Mango Bay, and this resort, which is quintessential Fiji, we were definitely not Danny styling anything. Initially I intended on constant activity with no time between snorkeling and kayaking or maybe even coconut bowling, which mango bay is known for. After the first bit of disappointment of not moving I found myself sleeping under a palm tree on the beach, and believe it or not enjoying it very much. Caitlin should probably enjoy this blessing because on any normal occasion she would have gotten earful of childish Danny “Lets go Play!!!” but for some reason the mixture of Fiji time and Caitlin time engulfed my whole and I let it happen. Realizing and accepting the fact Fiji has finally taken over my body and way of life was terrible but yet very nice at the same time, so thank you Caitlin for possessing me with fear of angering you to realize the sheer ecstasy one may enjoy when indulging in Fiji time, I would like to add this should be enjoyed in moderation. We did get a whole ton of time snorkeling, and a little beach wandering, which on Danny time would have killed us both. Evenings included some sort of delicious fish meal, and then to top it all off we had the ever so manly Mudslide alcoholic beverage which seemed to me just a good ole’ chocolate milkshake with a kick.
Evenings were difficult with our fellow Mango Bayers romping around drunk all evening. Caitlin was so lucky to overhear one Aussie accompany his mate to the Bure only leading him to a very unacceptable place to puke only response to be “BLOODY MURDER NOOOOO!” ha serves him right for keeping innocent sleepers awake.
After spending many hours observing the magnificently blue star fish it was time to depart to our next vacation destination. Of course we were able to enjoy a 3 hour bus ride beforehand which sets up the mood for adventure, but we did go shopping upon arrival. During check in at the hotel we were told a number of horror stories by the manager of the Sunvies Motel and Hostel of people being drugged at the local bar and pretty much said just stay inside, and with a room including air conditioning we weren’t going to argue. Also I loved the unusually cleanliness of the hotel, the only problem was the world’s fastest and largest spider attacking Caitlin in the bathroom. Luckily all that is man, Danny Dunn, has a solid sole on his sandal and an iron will to protect the innocent. After 5 misses with the heel of doom and 3 girly shrieks as it scurried a full lap around the bathroom I left victoriously leaving only a guts, death, and justice behind.
The next day we were up at 7 heading to the Mercure resort to catch a ride to the magnificent South Sea Cruises. Luckily the hotel was about 2 blocks away. The first thing notable upon arrival was actually diverse group of people who were partaking in the epic adventure. The Asian man with a Miller High life muscle shirt was quite a treat to see, because no matter how far you are there’s Wisconsin still right with you. The Catamaran, which is a ship with two hulls if you were curious, zipped us past all of the resort islands where there is a sand beach all the way around, a interior of a few palm trees, and a resort. Not something I was ever too interested in because they are all loaded with English gap year tourists doing the same trip around the world Australia, Thialand, Fiji, and America, and after awhile they really aren’t that fun, but more to come about them later. Arriving at Mana Island we were transferred to our beautiful boat called the Seaspray, which rocks the ocean with its massive sails. Suddenly a low deep rumble from under the boat began and we were moving. This created a little suspicion in the whole necessity of the sails, after about 5 minutes they hoisted sails, and I noticed that the sails were perfectly parallel with the entire boat, and I’m guessing in that position it really wouldn’t catch the most wind, so we were on the most novelty sailboat in the world with sails completely incapable of propelling us anywhere but a slight rock from a good gust.


Our first stop was at the ever so popular Madriki Island, which is famous for the Tom Hanks film Cast Away. Unfortunately we were not able to meet Wilson, but we got by with a little snorkeling. Unfortunately I can’t say snorkeling was much of a bonding moment, because I think beautiful fish and coral give Caitlin a little ADD, no offence. I would try and experience this with her, but as we were going I would see something, point, and look back only to see she had veered off and was gazing at a parrot fish or something. I would attempt to wait it off but the trance of the colorful stripes must have taken Caitlin to a place untouchable by the attempts by me to share these special moments with each other, so I moved on…alone . Well worse things have happened, because it was some really sweet coral, and I did see a black as pitch beche de mer, sea cucumbers to the layperson, with black spikes jutting out all over its body. Best of all it pooped, and after a glance back I learned the entirety of its life consists of pooping, because it the 2 feet it moved all day the entire thing was littered with little gray poop.
After an adequate amount of time snorkeling, we decided to search the island and unfortunately it was time to leave. I really didn’t think we had enough time on the island, but lunch was waiting on the boat, and I wasn’t going to be late for that, and since it was part of our cruise I figured I should probably attempt to eat everything, at least without feeling sick.



At the next island it was a little disappointing, but for some reason the guys who perform the sevusevu every day at the same time for this tour weren’t there, go figure, Fiji timed again. This was sort of disappointing, but in order to get them back I decided to eat about 4 muffins and some raisin bread before we got off, also I notice there was a lot of beer and pop left, so in order not to let it go to waste I decided to throw a few in my bag, just doing my duty of not being wasteful, no need to write words of praise about my good deeds I already know.
Another night back to Martintar, and we decided to eat at a Thai restaurant where I bought an Indian dish like a moron, but that is ok. What angered me the most was they wouldn’t give me free water. They required me to buy a bottle of Fiji water, which is outrageous, so I enjoyed a nice fruity mango yogurt drink that came in a manly martini glass and I know Caitlin could almost not believe the rugged man who she once thought she knew, oh what I have became is just something special, I could tell she saw me in a new light as I lifted the delicate glass up to my lips, and rifled the pinky out before sipping, always keeping it classy.
I thought I keep it light that evening so I ordered a small vegetarian meal, and after consumption we discussed the contents, and being Cheese, yogurt, and oil, I know good luck pooping right, really didn’t make it all that light after all, but at least it was delicious. And again my mind was blown as we walked back after dinner when I learned something of the tourist town night life. Hookers! I think there were six three on two different corners, I just thought it was really interesting, and how much they stood out was a little shocking.
The next day was unfortunately the last day for Caitlin to be blessing me with her presence, which, might I add this trip was probably the most meaningful things she has ever done for me not to mention the most enjoyable weeks in my stay in Fiji. There were just so many reasons that made the visit great, but getting sappy isn’t for my audience of three, but maybe between Caitlin and me.



The day consisted of a long sweaty walk, and a long breakfast with the ladies at the hostel finishing off with a Fijian goodbye song accompanied with one of the ladies jamming the ukulele. At the airport it was unfortunately sad, but the insignificant month before another reunion really made things easier. After a good hug she walked through the security. Of course I wanted to drag exposure on as long as possible so I glued my face to the window with cm gaps that were transparent at watched her begin checking in. I attempted more contact, but it isn’t Caitlin’s nature to really be looking back or in any direction I might be, so no surprises when she didn’t see me.
Now I was so lucky to be able to ride a bus 4 hours back to Suva. After a ½ hour wait I hopped up into a mini bus and on the trip I felt a belonging and a sense of accomplishment. In this big van there was me and 10 other Fijians ranging from 6 to 70 years old, and for some reason sweating and living everyday life similar to these people at that moment sometime as I taught myself to count to ten in Fijian I realized the unique experience I was having and how far I have gone since my first encounters. I guess it is just one of those moments where I just felt comfortable in probably a very uncomfortable situation for many people who would be placed in the situation. Being relatively a stranger in an odd land with different people, and the fact I tolerated the discomfort of sitting for 4 hours in a 100 degree bus swapping arm sweat with my neighbor shows how Fijian I actually have become.

No comments:

Post a Comment